CavLand

Blackhorse forever.

11th ACR ThunderHorse sickles army airfield

Where are all thr troopers from ThunderHorse 11th ACR sickles army airfield Fulda, lets hear from you

Views: 8130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Air  Troop 78-80; R Troop 4/11 ACR 88-92; Troubleshooter for the Squadron CSM, CSM Buford Prevette. I am now in San Antonio, Texas. I just finished 12 years with the Boeing Aircraft Company working the KC-135A, R, T air refueler model aircrafts; C-17 and the Boeing -8 Dreamliner flight line program out of Charleston, SC. Presently contracting. Michael Mosely

OMG, I was there that morning and have pictures of my own in storage somewhere. 

Wayne L. Alford (CW4 Ret.) said:

Another funny..........anyone remember the incident in this picture ........who are the main folks here?  Fun stuff!

I don't live particularly far away from Fulda and now that they have finally finished A66 it doesn't take very long to get back there once in awhile. 

I just remembered why we wore the engineer tape with the rising sun. That would have been before Stetson Troop when we were still Aerial Mine Platoon and our platoon leader was half Japanese. I do not remember his name though.

Wayne L. Alford (CW4 Ret.) said:

Hello all,

My name is William Blackstone. I am currently trying to write my memories of my father in novel format. I Know that CW4 Carey Blackstone was stationed  at Sickles in the early 80's as I still have memories of Fulda. I believe he was  Cobra Maintenance Officer.

Currently residing in Belgium, I am having trouble getting his DD214 and am wondering if there might be any Troopers out there that might remember him, might be able to share a bit about my dad with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Wm.R. Blackstone

To add:

I just went back and read previous posts. GREAT story about dad, sounds a lot like the way he raised my brother and I. 100mph tape fixes ANYTHING!

Just to let you guys know. Carey Blackstone lost his fight with pancreatic cancer Nov. 25th 1998. He had medically retired from Lockheed/Dynacorp two years previously and retired from the Army in 1989.

He kept his sense of humor and his love of fast cars and cheap beer till the end.

Thank you guys for the great memories. I hope there will be more to come and wish you all the best!

Wm. R. Blackstone.

I was plt. Sgt. of the Aero Rifle Plt/Air Troop, and was stationed at Downs Bks. from '74 to '77. Our Lift Section included four slicks and their crews. Our days were usually split between duties in and around Air Cav Trp and H.Q. Regiment; and Sickles Airfield.

We had an old sheet metal Quonset bldg. at Sickles, we called 'The Arp Shack' that we used for classroom training, and standby for Air Ops on the border. When I got there, it was unheated and there was no provision for plt. HQ. within the bldg. I changed that very quickly! Our Flt. Crews had a similar bldg near us, but they had made so many improvements to it that it was just like home (of course)!

It was not all that uncommon to see a Hind around the airfield or to have some kind of confrontation on the border. Our foot patrol was actually fired upon at the anti-vehicular ditch. There were two East Germans with AKs and German Shepards standing guard over about twenty or so prisoners as they worked on the ditch. When we appeared one of the guards fired a burst over our heads into the Western Zone, and then stood there laughing as we hit the dirt! It's a good thing we didn't have any ammo as my first instinct was to return fire! In a letter of commendation, which turned into an ARCOM, the incident was almost casually referred to as one of several 'great difficulties' that I had lead the Plt. through.

Later, toward the end of my tour, Air Trp. was renamed 'Support Trp Air' and worked under the 'C&C Sqdn.' The Aero Rifle Plt was disbanded, and members re-assigned. E-6 and above were posted by the D.A., so we were given a choice as to our re-assignment. I could have asked for anything, but I thought highly of the Regiment and had no desire to go elsewhere. So I stayed with Support Troop Air and was given the assignment of NCOIC Flight Opns and Plt. Sgt of HQ. Plt. that I held until my ETS in '77.

So many great memories! We had some of the best pilots and crews that I had ever served with! Many were Nam Vets; CW2 Abrews and CW1 Ingebretson instantly come to mind whenever I think about my time there! Sp5 Sanchez (Poncho), SP4 Ross are just a few that come to mind, but there were many more. Some of those in the Rifle Plt. Cpt. Fuller/Plt Ldr., Cpt. Grindstaff/Plt. Ldr. SSG Eaglebretson, Sgt. Rutherford (roof), Sp/4 Gary Cox, Sp/4 Wickliffe (Whiskey Life), Sp4 Loney Gibbs, Sp4 Alberts and more. forgive me if I've omitted anyone, as my memory is not quite as good as it used to be.

SSG Sabin,

You mention 'nam vet pilots from Air Cav Trp and the first name that comes to mind is CW2 Capps.  One hell of a pilot and all around good guy.  He also flew missions during the Mt. St. Helens event out of Ft. Lewis WA. Sadly he passed a few years ago.  I was in HHT Regt but remember tipping a few with SP4 Ron Moore and SP4 Bob Beske from Air Cav.

Regards,

SP4 Greg Durand  HHT Regt.

SSG Sabin (LRRP/ARP) NO SLACK! said:

I was plt. Sgt. of the Aero Rifle Plt/Air Troop, and was stationed at Downs Bks. from '74 to '77. Our Lift Section included four slicks and their crews. Our days were usually split between duties in and around Air Cav Trp and H.Q. Regiment; and Sickles Airfield.

We had an old sheet metal Quonset bldg. at Sickles, we called 'The Arp Shack' that we used for classroom training, and standby for Air Ops on the border. When I got there, it was unheated and there was no provision for plt. HQ. within the bldg. I changed that very quickly! Our Flt. Crews had a similar bldg near us, but they had made so many improvements to it that it was just like home (of course)!

It was not all that uncommon to see a Hind around the airfield or to have some kind of confrontation on the border. Our foot patrol was actually fired upon at the anti-vehicular ditch. There were two East Germans with AKs and German Shepards standing guard over about twenty or so prisoners as they worked on the ditch. When we appeared one of the guards fired a burst over our heads into the Western Zone, and then stood there laughing as we hit the dirt! It's a good thing we didn't have any ammo as my first instinct was to return fire! In a letter of commendation, which turned into an ARCOM, the incident was almost casually referred to as one of several 'great difficulties' that I had lead the Plt. through.

Later, toward the end of my tour, Air Trp. was renamed 'Support Trp Air' and worked under the 'C&C Sqdn.' The Aero Rifle Plt was disbanded, and members re-assigned. E-6 and above were posted by the D.A., so we were given a choice as to our re-assignment. I could have asked for anything, but I thought highly of the Regiment and had no desire to go elsewhere. So I stayed with Support Troop Air and was given the assignment of NCOIC Flight Opns and Plt. Sgt of HQ. Plt. that I held until my ETS in '77.

So many great memories! We had some of the best pilots and crews that I had ever served with! Many were Nam Vets; CW2 Abrews and CW1 Ingebretson instantly come to mind whenever I think about my time there! Sp5 Sanchez (Poncho), SP4 Ross are just a few that come to mind, but there were many more. Some of those in the Rifle Plt. Cpt. Fuller/Plt Ldr., Cpt. Grindstaff/Plt. Ldr. SSG Eaglebretson, Sgt. Rutherford (roof), Sp/4 Gary Cox, Sp/4 Wickliffe (Whiskey Life), Sp4 Loney Gibbs, Sp4 Alberts and more. forgive me if I've omitted anyone, as my memory is not quite as good as it used to be.

Hi Greg!,

Sorry, don't remember any crew by those names, possibly Moore, but your name sounds familiar. Did you happen to know the Twine brothers?

I was there 90 to 92. Worked in S3(flight ops). Anybody heard from Maj Mainwaring?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Greg Hallmark.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service