CavLand

Blackhorse forever.

11th ACR ThunderHorse sickles army airfield

Where are all thr troopers from ThunderHorse 11th ACR sickles army airfield Fulda, lets hear from you

Views: 9355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

66-15252,  was in 1st Flt Plt. I named her "Dark Silence" and CW2 Les Baggett was my pilot. I was the crew-chief in 84 when I left the 11th ACR.

Eduardo Arredondo said:

I was a Cobra crewchief and I understand that I had the distinct honor of crewing the cobra that was involved with the hind crash. That would be tail number 66-15252, the 7th AH-I Cobra ever made. It used to have a Hind spray painted on it and it also had "Wicked Lester" painted on the side. But by the time I got there it had been painted over but you could still tell that it was on there. It was a great flying aircraft and my pilots loved it and I was/am proud to maintain it for them.

If anyone out there knows this to be inaccurate, or accurate please, by all means let me know. I got there in Oct. '89 and saw the wall come down. Not many people were still talking about it except for a couple of the vetran pilots who were there at the time and were still at Sickles when I was there. I can probably still remember some these pilots names if anyone needs to know.

I see that this forum has mostly aviators but so I hope you guys don't mind an enlisted guys comments.

Ed

Eduardo.......on the contrary........we love to have the crewchiefs/ maintenance inputs........keeps us old fart aviators in line and different views of the 11th ACR is always interesting!  There  is a mechanic that works for the company I do (Air Methods Inc) that was in "P" troop on my second tour (89-92), his name is Dale Christianson(sp) and says he was a Cobra mech, any body know him?

I am not sure of the tail number of the Cobra at that event but I can get in touch with Jim Blaine (front seater), I'm sure he can verify for you (I still email him on occasion).  I went out there with CW4 Glenn Uchiyama after the crash and took some pictures. The Hind-E in the photo is the crash aircraft....10 seconds before crash.   Great time at SAAF!

Eduardo,

Brings back quite a few memories...Les Baggett and his wife Sonja introduced me to my wife in 1983. You probably heard of his loss in a wire strike outside Illesheim in 1989  www.armyaircrews.com/apache/html   It has been a long time since I heard the name of Jeff Dillard. If you're anywhere near Louisville, you should check out the Blackhorse Reunion this spring...we had a very nice reunion in Williamsburg this past June...had a couple tables with "old" Air and CAT Troopers!  Wayne brought a most excellent collection of pix from Fulda in electrons!

Les was my pilot, Jeff Dillard was our maintenance officer, I remember CW3 Doug Sharpe too, probably one of the best snake charmers I knew and loved his Porsche 926S. It has been 29 years, but these names and memories are starting to just fill my head. Mr. Pike is still flying Cobras in So Cal last time I talked to him.

It would be great to make it to one of the reunions, I am a lifetime member of the border legion and lifetime member of the association so I get the newsletters.

Hi Tim, 

How cool is this! It's been a while sisnce I posted that comment here. I'm so glad someone out there is chiming in and remembering that tail number. As I mentioned before, I got there in Oct. '89 and the wall getting ready to come down.

Well I think you did a grwat job keeping that aircraft in tip top flying condition. All the pilots in my Troop (P Troop), really enjoyed flying her. 

I was told that I had to give her a name and that it had to start with the letter "P" , so I named her "PREDITOR". And as far as I know it was still on when I left Fulda in Jan. '92.

The pilot who I remember the most was CW-4 Gary Parrin. This guy was so cool and layed back. But he was a Viet Nam veteran and when he spoke, we all listened ,... at least I did. If anyone out there is in touch with him and can let him know, I would like to be able to send him an email.

What do you do now Tim? I'm still wrenching on Helo's here in the California desert.

Ed

Mechanical Engineering Manager in a Medical Device manufacturer in San Diego :) I have not touched a Helo in a long time, has to be 87 the last time, with 7th ID in Fort Ord. Got out of the Reserves as SFC in 2003.

Hello Wayne, 

Well thank you for that. I think I remember you and the name Christiansen sounds familiar but doesn't ring any belld for me. You know how that goes, we forget names but we can mostly remember faces. I work for RSI out of Van Nuys, California. And we have several contracts with law enforcment agencies like San Diego PD, California Highway Patrol, San Diego County Fire and we get allot of other work for other departments out here. I am at Jaqueline Cochran Regional airport in Thermal, Ca. I work here baby sitting 1 AS350B3 for CHP through RSI.

We have one Mercy Air EC135 here. I think Mercy Air is owned by Air Methods, ... isn't it? Not sure but I thought I heard that. Anyway I used to hear that it's a small world in avaiation and that seems to be especially true as far as rotorcraft is concerned.

I remember Mr. Uchiyama from R Troop. He was a very interesting man. Do you remember Mr Wonderly?

I too had a great time at SAAF! I just didn't know it then. 

Is there any way you can post more pics of that fateful day on the border?

And yes, if you can get a conformation on that tail number, that would be great. That would just confirm it for me because that's the story I've told my son.

Ed

Wayne L. Alford (CW4 Ret.) said:

Eduardo.......on the contrary........we love to have the crewchiefs/ maintenance inputs........keeps us old fart aviators in line and different views of the 11th ACR is always interesting!  There  is a mechanic that works for the company I do (Air Methods Inc) that was in "P" troop on my second tour (89-92), his name is Dale Christianson(sp) and says he was a Cobra mech, any body know him?

I am not sure of the tail number of the Cobra at that event but I can get in touch with Jim Blaine (front seater), I'm sure he can verify for you (I still email him on occasion).  I went out there with CW4 Glenn Uchiyama after the crash and took some pictures. The Hind-E in the photo is the crash aircraft....10 seconds before crash.   Great time at SAAF!

Okay guys, just dug up a bunch of photos from my days in Fulda, I will scan them and post them in this thread, tons of snow and running cobras, some shots taken while I was in the front seat. Have a shot of Neuhof. Even have a picture with Jeff Dillard and CW3 Doug Sharpe in my archives. and plenty of the CE's that I worked with. A fine bunch of snake doctors we were.

Guys, I feel ashamed that my memory has failed. I have misspoken. 66-15252 was my last airframe in Air Troop, but after the Cav 86 breakdown, I went to C Trp 11 CAS, and was the crew-chief on 67-15662, and CW3 Mark Wonderly was my pilot. I just found the paper we used to place in the front of the log book with the crew name, tail number and the name we gave her, I have kept it all these years and have it taped it over a picture of Mr. Wonderly performing a pre-flight on her. I also have a few pictures of the CoC when the incoming Commander was flown in in an OH-58 between the old and new hangers. Can't remember his name to save my ass. Also found a few photos of us on the range in Graf and the flight there. I flew front seat on my last summer Graf so got some good film.

Col Driscoll replaced Col Franks. I will scan the pictures this weekend, but I did get these scanned.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Greg Hallmark.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service