CavLand

Blackhorse forever.

11th ACR ThunderHorse sickles army airfield

Where are all thr troopers from ThunderHorse 11th ACR sickles army airfield Fulda, lets hear from you

Views: 9152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How do I get in touch with AVN buddies of '61--64? We were the 14th A/C Avn Detachment then and operated out of Fulda, BH and BK. Joe Aldridge '61-'63 jh_aldridge@verizon.net

hellooooo...houah..I remenber your name Mr. Kruse..I was an AVUM mechanic and crewchief on cobras at Sickles from 85-88..do you remember Bill Malo?

For Thunderhorse troopers at Sickels, circa 81-84......I was saddened to read this from the VHPA website...

CW2 Delbert "Del" J. Jackson was a VHPA member who died after his tour in VIetnam on 8/29/2004 at the age of 54 from Lung cancer. Del served in A 1/9 CAV in 70-71. Jim Kurtz used the address in the 2005 VHPA directory and tired to contact Del to let him know about a planned reunion of 1-9 CAV...instead, he learned that Del died almost two years ago of lung cancer that the VA found was related to his Vietnam service.

Talaomon "Tom" Weaver is also listed as passing away, 3/2/09...listed his service as a Medevac pilot in RVN. Nothing else reported.

Another sad report was our Cobra Maintenance Officer, Carey Blackstone. VHPA also reports that he died in Killeen, TX, 11/25/1998 at the age of 55. "Stone" was well known for only drinking PBR in Germany, and for conducting a one time flight back to Sickels one night after a cow stepped on one of the Kamen Blades from a Cobra that he was repairing. Yes, a cow. Remember he wrapped the blade with 100mph tape and ironed it for about 20 minutes...then had the blades lifted, mounted back on the head and told his CE to get aboard...I remember he said "if it starts, we're flying it home"...think he fast hovered the Cobra all the way back to Sickels!

Gary Dean Rowe, who flew Minebirds in CAT and later flew Apaches at Hanchey and at Illisheim also passed away on 9/19/2009 at the age of 58, also cited in VHPA.

 

Sorry to render the report...however, hope to see y'all in Williamsburg at the Reunion...last time, between Air and CAT, we had but one table

 

Sorry to hear about CW3 Blackstone he really was one of the best, i remember he was my pilot along side CW3 cranford, Mullens and banks along with Plt Leader Cpt murray, i recall the times Blackstone and cranford would gang up on mullens and give hime a hard time, those two guys always made being in the field fun at night.Blackstone will be missed.

Wow!  Now that is a shocker!  Been lookin for those guys on the internet for years, and now find it's too late.  Del and Tom were THE scout platoon.......us WO1 scout guys were just students of the game at that time and always in awe of those two.  We had some GREAT times in Fulda.  Proud to know them!


 
Jim Collins said:

For Thunderhorse troopers at Sickels, circa 81-84......I was saddened to read this from the VHPA website...

CW2 Delbert "Del" J. Jackson was a VHPA member who died after his tour in VIetnam on 8/29/2004 at the age of 54 from Lung cancer. Del served in A 1/9 CAV in 70-71. Jim Kurtz used the address in the 2005 VHPA directory and tired to contact Del to let him know about a planned reunion of 1-9 CAV...instead, he learned that Del died almost two years ago of lung cancer that the VA found was related to his Vietnam service.

Talaomon "Tom" Weaver is also listed as passing away, 3/2/09...listed his service as a Medevac pilot in RVN. Nothing else reported.

Another sad report was our Cobra Maintenance Officer, Carey Blackstone. VHPA also reports that he died in Killeen, TX, 11/25/1998 at the age of 55. "Stone" was well known for only drinking PBR in Germany, and for conducting a one time flight back to Sickels one night after a cow stepped on one of the Kamen Blades from a Cobra that he was repairing. Yes, a cow. Remember he wrapped the blade with 100mph tape and ironed it for about 20 minutes...then had the blades lifted, mounted back on the head and told his CE to get aboard...I remember he said "if it starts, we're flying it home"...think he fast hovered the Cobra all the way back to Sickels!

Gary Dean Rowe, who flew Minebirds in CAT and later flew Apaches at Hanchey and at Illisheim also passed away on 9/19/2009 at the age of 58, also cited in VHPA.

 

Sorry to render the report...however, hope to see y'all in Williamsburg at the Reunion...last time, between Air and CAT, we had but one table

 

VHPA website unfortunately is solemn listing of many that flew together with us...LTC Whitehead was the C&C Squadron Cdr before Buddha.

 

LTC John B. Whitehead was a VHPA member who died after his tour in Vietnam on 08/09/2011 at the age of 69 Columbus, GA Flight Class 67-22 Date of Birth 04/28/1942 Served in the U.S. Army Served in Vietnam with OH-6A NETT in 68-69, A/7/1 CAV in 71-72, D/229 AVN 1 CAV in 72, F/9 CAV 1 CAV in 72
Call signs in Vietnam TIGER 16, SABRE WHITE This information was provided by Mike Sloniker

More detail on this person: LTC (Ret) John Berrien Whitehead, III April 28, 1942-August 10, 2011 Columbus, Georgia- LTC (Ret) John Berrien Whitehead III, age 69, resident of Columbus, passed away at his residence on Wednesday, August 10, 2011. Memorial services will be held at the Chapel of Striffler-Hamby Mortuary, 4071 Macon Road, Columbus on Sunday, August 14, 2011 at 2 p.m. LTC Whitehead, son of the late John Berrien Whitehead, Jr., was born April 28, 1942 in Douglas, GA. He served in the U.S. Army and retired after 20 years of honorable service. During his military tenure, he served two tours of Vietnam. He was a helicopter pilot and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for a heroic act of valentry. In addition he was awarded the Silver Star; Distinguished Flying Cross; Bronze Star; Legion of Merit; and Meritorious Service Medal; the Army Air Medal; the Vietnam Service Medal; and the Vietnamese Class of Gallantry. LTC Whitehead is survived by his wife, Anne Whitehead of Columbus; one brother, Charles Whitehead of Marietta, GA; one sister, Jane Cochran of Marietta, GA; two daughters, Courtney W. Hudson and Caroline Whitehead; three sons, Mike Whitehead, Jeff Whitehead, and David Whitehead; six grandchildren, Jack, Pete, Will, John and Henry Whitehead, and Jacob Solt; other relatives and friends. Condolences may be offered at www.shcolumbus.com. Published in Columbus Ledger-Enquirer on August 12, 2011.

LTC (Ret) John Berrien Whitehead III, age 69, resident of Columbus, passed away at his residence in Columbus GA on Wednesday, August 10, 2011. LTC Whitehead, son of the late John Berrien Whitehead, Jr., was born April 28, 1942 in Douglas, GA. He graduated with Flight Class 67-22 and first went to Vietnam in 1968-69 with the OH-6A NETT Team. He returned to Vietnam in 1971-72 where he flew with A Troop 7/1st Cav, D Co. 229th Avn Bn and F Troop/9th Cav of the 3rd Bde 1st Cavalry Division His awards were the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star; Distinguished Flying Cross; Bronze Star, Presidential Unit Citation, Legion of Merit; Meritorious Service Medal and numerous Air Medals. John will remain a legend to those of us who flew in the III Corps area during the Easter Offensive of 1972, when in April, he and Dave Ripley flew OH 6s from D-229 to rescue the Loc Ninh MACV advisors who were escaping and evading towards An Loc. In the chaos of finding and bringing them out, 3 American Advisors, 4 ARVN, John and his gunner SGT Waite flew out under heavy ground fire in Loach 243. This is the only account I have ever found as VHPA historian of 9 souls on board an OH 6 and it still could fly. John was awarded the DSC for this action and a life time of gratitude from Marv Zumwalt one of the three MACV advisors in the back. John will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery in September 2011. Check the Arlington National Cemetery website for phone number that will provide the exact date. From: Mike Sloniker

This information was last updated 08/14/2011

Please send additions or corrections to: The VHPA Webmaster Gary Roush

Another on to Fiddler's Green..."Doo-Dah" Watkins....he was a CW3 in 2nd Plt...used to love to rib me when I was Troop XO..."Hey XO, you know the difference between a CW2 and a CPT?  Will take the CPT longer to make CW3"...another good one gone...

WATKINS JAMES M

CPT James M. Watkins was a VHPA member who died after his tour in Vietnam on 07/28/2000 at the age of 53 Colorado Springs, CO
Flight Class 69-14 Date of Birth 11/20/1946 Served in the U.S. Army
Served in Vietnam with 361 AVN in 69-70 Call sign in Vietnam PANTHER 39
This information was provided by Mike Law, Mike Sheuerman, John Debay

This information was last updated 03/27/2002

Please send additions or corrections to: The VHPA Webmaster Gary Roush.

 

I think Jim and family are still in Kansas City.  Our Christmas card did not come back so I assume they are still there.  And yes, he is still with the P.O. as an enginer.
 
Chris Barber said:

I wonder how Jim Blaine is doing. I will have to try and look him up. I stayed at his home overnight a couple of times back in 1985 or 1986 in Ontario, CA. He worked for the Post Office. 

Hey folks.......Talamon (Tom) Weaver is not dead!  I talked to the boy on the phone just day before yesterday and he said "I aint dead yet" .  Found him living well in south Florida and works for Flight Safety.   And yes the VHPA site does list his name in the deceased file.  Don't know why.  Pass it on!

 
 
Wayne L. Alford (CW4 Ret.) said:

Wow!  Now that is a shocker!  Been lookin for those guys on the internet for years, and now find it's too late.  Del and Tom were THE scout platoon.......us WO1 scout guys were just students of the game at that time and always in awe of those two.  We had some GREAT times in Fulda.  Proud to know them!


 
Jim Collins said:

For Thunderhorse troopers at Sickels, circa 81-84......I was saddened to read this from the VHPA website...

CW2 Delbert "Del" J. Jackson was a VHPA member who died after his tour in VIetnam on 8/29/2004 at the age of 54 from Lung cancer. Del served in A 1/9 CAV in 70-71. Jim Kurtz used the address in the 2005 VHPA directory and tired to contact Del to let him know about a planned reunion of 1-9 CAV...instead, he learned that Del died almost two years ago of lung cancer that the VA found was related to his Vietnam service.

Talaomon "Tom" Weaver is also listed as passing away, 3/2/09...listed his service as a Medevac pilot in RVN. Nothing else reported.

Another sad report was our Cobra Maintenance Officer, Carey Blackstone. VHPA also reports that he died in Killeen, TX, 11/25/1998 at the age of 55. "Stone" was well known for only drinking PBR in Germany, and for conducting a one time flight back to Sickels one night after a cow stepped on one of the Kamen Blades from a Cobra that he was repairing. Yes, a cow. Remember he wrapped the blade with 100mph tape and ironed it for about 20 minutes...then had the blades lifted, mounted back on the head and told his CE to get aboard...I remember he said "if it starts, we're flying it home"...think he fast hovered the Cobra all the way back to Sickels!

Gary Dean Rowe, who flew Minebirds in CAT and later flew Apaches at Hanchey and at Illisheim also passed away on 9/19/2009 at the age of 58, also cited in VHPA.

 

Sorry to render the report...however, hope to see y'all in Williamsburg at the Reunion...last time, between Air and CAT, we had but one table

 

I was there and remember them calling it in that the replacement blade for the tree strike need to be replaced due to a cow strike talk about having a cow LMAO

Wayne L. Alford (CW4 Ret.) said:

Wow!  Now that is a shocker!  Been lookin for those guys on the internet for years, and now find it's too late.  Del and Tom were THE scout platoon.......us WO1 scout guys were just students of the game at that time and always in awe of those two.  We had some GREAT times in Fulda.  Proud to know them!


 
Jim Collins said:

For Thunderhorse troopers at Sickels, circa 81-84......I was saddened to read this from the VHPA website...

CW2 Delbert "Del" J. Jackson was a VHPA member who died after his tour in VIetnam on 8/29/2004 at the age of 54 from Lung cancer. Del served in A 1/9 CAV in 70-71. Jim Kurtz used the address in the 2005 VHPA directory and tired to contact Del to let him know about a planned reunion of 1-9 CAV...instead, he learned that Del died almost two years ago of lung cancer that the VA found was related to his Vietnam service.

Talaomon "Tom" Weaver is also listed as passing away, 3/2/09...listed his service as a Medevac pilot in RVN. Nothing else reported.

Another sad report was our Cobra Maintenance Officer, Carey Blackstone. VHPA also reports that he died in Killeen, TX, 11/25/1998 at the age of 55. "Stone" was well known for only drinking PBR in Germany, and for conducting a one time flight back to Sickels one night after a cow stepped on one of the Kamen Blades from a Cobra that he was repairing. Yes, a cow. Remember he wrapped the blade with 100mph tape and ironed it for about 20 minutes...then had the blades lifted, mounted back on the head and told his CE to get aboard...I remember he said "if it starts, we're flying it home"...think he fast hovered the Cobra all the way back to Sickels!

Gary Dean Rowe, who flew Minebirds in CAT and later flew Apaches at Hanchey and at Illisheim also passed away on 9/19/2009 at the age of 58, also cited in VHPA.

 

Sorry to render the report...however, hope to see y'all in Williamsburg at the Reunion...last time, between Air and CAT, we had but one table

 

I was there that day, fairly new to the GAP, but remember it well. "252" was the last Cobra I crewed in Fulda.

Wayne L. Alford (CW4 Ret.) said:

The two guys that watched the Hind-E crash were Jim Blaine and Raoul Camacho in a AH-1. They had just relieved me on station up by Check point 1. On the way back for fuel I heard Carlisle Radio issue the "Brassmonkey" alert and learned the Hind had crashed. I later took Glenn Uchiyama (safety officer) up to take some pictures of the site, Just a couple hundred meters south of check point 1. Big day on the border!

Wayne A.



CW4 Tommy L. Schmitt said:
Spent 72-77 and 82-83 at Sickles AAF.......many stories........Ah-1 front seat.....took pics of a downed soviet heli.
tom

I remember this story a little different but I was there. Now it has been almost 30 years, but I thought that we were either on Reforger, or doing some other Blue vs. Red event and we had to pull the blades off to do some work on the hub. The blades were laid in a field, and that evening a herd of cows passed through and one drug its hoof over the top of the blade and created the abcess. We had a small team (pilots, crew chiefs, TI) stay behind to finish the repairs on teh hub, and "replace" the blades in the field. Dave Suiters was the TI that stayed behind, I was one of the CE's and the rest is a distant faded memory.

The other event involving blades was on the border in Rinsdorf doing a dog and pony show. Major Estes (sp?) was on the radio telling the pilot (can't remember who) to get lower he could still see him when he had a tree strike that took a good foot or so off the tips of the baldes. Mr Dillard did a run up and had a 1:1 but said he could fly it back to the airfield, so he and the CE flew it home.

Jeff Combs said:

I was there and remember them calling it in that the replacement blade for the tree strike need to be replaced due to a cow strike talk about having a cow LMAO

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Greg Hallmark.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service